Hair loss or hair fall is one of the primary and common problems. Nowadays children with hair loss are also being practiced to see. Probably every human being is suffering from nowadays. There is no restriction of age for the condition of hair loss, i.e., whether it is about a newborn child, a teenager, a younger, or if it is about an older person, you may find the disorder of hair fall in him or her.
Is hair loss in children normal or not?
There are mainly two conditions for hair loss. The hair loss of a bit of hair as per day is a reasonable condition for hair loss, but if a child loses his or her hair in an excessive amount each day, it is not normal at all. Almost all children of every age group are being suffered from the current disorder. Very few of them are being treated properly to avoid this issue. Let us further discuss the normal and abnormal conditions for hair loss in children.
Normal conditions of hair loss in children
Throughout all the ages, groups in children do suffer from the problem of hair loss. The average hair loss may be overcome by proper oiling, massage, and by combing the hair based on every day. It may be overcome by giving just a little and proper care diligently. We should take care of a thing imperatively while oiling, that we should not apply it to the hairs more than two or three hours. The long duration of oiling in hair causes dandruff in them that is perhaps one of the biggest reasons for hair growth. It is continuous to damage our hair until it remains.
Normal conditions of hair loss in children
There are some conditions due to which a child may suffer from hair loss for a short duration of time. These conditions are the following:
Newborn children with Hair Loss
It is generally observed that newborn children usually do suffer from constant hair loss until six or 8 months after their birth. It occurs due to the reason that the new hairs need a way for their growth. So the connatural hairs just make way for the new hair by falling out. This kind of hair fall in children entirely refers to an average hair loss and is not risky at all.
Children at an early age, the starting months of just after their birth, seem to be rubbing their heads with any surface. They do so with carpets, mattresses, or even sometimes with carpets as well. The repetition of this attitude can lead them towards hair loss until they leave their current habit. It is also not risky as the children generally go making their heads rub with their growing age.
Use of chemicals and electrical products
The usage of chemicals is dangerous and harmful for hair health. It is also a significant reason for hair loss in children. The children nowadays are using more and more chemical products to dress up their hair. In these chemicals and electric products gels, bleach, dyes, hair straighter, hairdryer, electric rollers, etc are included. It may lead them towards a severe hair loss until they give up using such chemical products. As soon as they give up all these electrical and chemical products, they would get rid of the problem of hair loss.
Abnormal conditions of hair loss in children
The abnormal hair loss condition is opposite to the usual conditions of hair loss in children. Contrary to the general conditions, in unusual circumstances with specific reference to children with hair loss, the children lose an abnormal number of hairs as per day. It is due to several reasons, i.e., dandruff, the different bacterial disorders, and many other reasons are there that cause hair loss in children. Psychological health is also a factor that causes hair loss in an abnormal amount.
The disorders regarding hair loss in children:
When the hair loss in children exceeds abnormally and turns critical, it disguises the form of different types of disorders. These disorders are pivotal to treat to get rid of hair loss entirely. These disorders include tinea capitis, alopecia areata, trichotillomania, telegony effluvium, hypothyroidism, etc. Some of these disorders are elaborated below in detail.
Tinea capitis is a disorder found in children regarding hair loss. It is also known as ringworm of the scalp. The cause of this disorder is a fungus termed as a dermatophyte. The poor hygiene of a child or the presence of a child at overcrowded may cause the current fungus on the scalp of him or her, which then causes the tinea capitis.
The way to diagnose tinea capitis:
The doctors or the dermatologists diagnose this disorder by KOH microscopy. Wood’s lamp examination is also a process that helps a doctor to diagnose tinea capitis. The simple words, we can say that the doctor sends a sample of the scalp of the affected child to the lab to examine it.
The cure to tinea capitis:
The dermatologists generally suggest good hygiene to cure tinea capitis. They also prescribe some tablets to eat and specific shampoos to apply on the affected child’s scalp. A determinant use of these tablets helps in getting rid of the fungus dermatophyte.
Alopecia areata is an autoimmune disease in which the immune system influences the cells present in hair follicles to harm them. This harm causes hair loss in children. Alopecia areata has three types based on the pattern of hair loss. These types are as under:
- Alopecia Areata: The hair on some parts of the scalp falls out. It forms bald patches on the head.
- Alopecia Totalis: It is the sub-category of Alopecia areata whereby a child loses all the hair on his or her scalp.
- Alopecia Universalis: It is the sub-category of Alopecia areata whereby a child loses all the hair on his or her entire body.
The way to diagnose alopecia areata
way to diagnose this disorder by sending a sample of the scalp of the affected child to the lab to examine it.
The cure to alopecia areata
There is no proper cure discovered for alopecia areata yet. Though, different drugs, i.e., anthralin and minoxidil, can help in re-growth of hair. Corticosteroid creams also make sure the re-growth of new hair. The right kind of treatment helps in the re-growth of hair within a year.
Trichotillomania is a form of obsessive-compulsive disorder. This disorder is characterized by an individual pulling their hair out of a sense of compulsion. They do so for a purpose. Some may even eat their hairs, and they pull out of a sense of pressure. Patchy hair loss and broken hairs of varying lengths are some effects of trichotillomania.
The way to diagnose trichotillomania
Dermoscopy is a process that helps a physician to diagnose the current disorder. In this process, a physician uses a dermoscopy to diagnose if the child is suffering from trichotillomania or not.
The cure to trichotillomania
Trichotillomania can be cured one the child gives up pulling his or her hair out. In this case, it is better to consult a psychiatrist rather than asking a dermatologist. CBT is a therapy that helps your child to acknowledge pulling his or her hair. It also helps them in understanding the emotions that trigger such kind of behavior, ultimately causing them to stop it. CBT refers to cognitive behavioral therapy.
Telogen effluvium is a form of temporary hair loss that usually happens after stress, a shock, or a traumatic event. It usually affects the top of the scalp. It leads the normal hair growth towards a resting phase. As a result, hair stops being grown and rests so that the old hairs fall out and make way for new ones.
The telogen effluvium is a condition whereby the hairs are pushed into the telogen phase (also known as resting phase) prematurely, thus causes hair loss but temporarily. As mentioned before, the telogen effluvium is caused by a stressful, shocking, or traumatic event. A child who is being suffered from current disorder loses approximately 300 hairs a day.
The way to diagnose telogen effluvium
There are several methods to diagnose the disorder of telogen effluvium. These methods include microscopic examination of the shed hair, CBC, serum iron, serum zinc, and some thyroid function tests, etc.
Cure to telogen effluvium
This condition does not require any medical treatment in particular. Once the child is out of the trauma, the hair grows back. It may take around six months to a year for the hair to grow back.
There are several disorders regarding hair loss in children that are unable to be dealt with within a single article. Let us move forward towards the remedies and the nutrition that helps us to avoid the hair loss issues in children.
Remedies to prevent children from hair loss:
- Pulling the children’s hair into tight hairstyles i.e., ponytail, braid, or bun, causes hair loss in children. So we must avoid such hairstyles so the children may find an obvious decrease in the ratio of their hair loss. Or if we want to have these hairstyles for them, so we should keep in mind that these should not be as tight as to give rise to the hair loss.
- We should make the children learn to comb or brush their hair gently rather than dealing them in a hard way. Dealing with the hair hardly may also lead them towards a continuous hair loss.
- Oil is the best and the most common nutrient for hair that is so much reasonable according to its price and market value. Everyone can afford it very quickly, even within a very low budget. We should regularly apply it to the children’s scalp if we want to prevent them from hair loss. But here we should keep in mind that the duration of using oil to the hair must not exceed 2 to 3 hours. The long term causes dandruff in hair, thus leads to hair loss.
- The proper massage of the scalp on a daily basis for a minimum duration of 2 to 5 minutes also plays a vital role in preventing hair loss in children.
Nutrition or diet that prevents hair loss in children
- The diet is having an excessive amount of vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin E e.g., the fruits i.e., orange, kiwi, lemon, guava, grapefruit, papaya, strawberries, cantaloupe, apricot and the vegetables i.e., broccoli, capsicum, cauliflower, Brussels’ sprouts, carrots, red sweet pepper, sweet potatoes, winter squash, spinach, kale, collard greens, turnip greens, beet greens, mustard greens, and all the green vegetables.
- The foods that carry heavy carbohydrates i.e., potato, pasta, bread, white rice, etc. also proves to be helpful to avoid hair loss in children.
- Fried foods having high fat that contains hydrogenated oils may help us in preventing the children from hair loss.
- Iron and biotin-rich nutrients e.g., eggs, almonds, mushrooms, cheese, spinach (all the green vegetables) also help in increasing hair growth with decreasing the ratio of hair loss), sweet potato, fatty fish, avocados, nuts, seeds, oysters, shrimp, beans, soybeans, meat, etc.
- The diet that contains a high glycemic index, which breaks down sugars quickly and causes inflammation, also helps the children to avoid the problems of hair loss.
Read More : How To Get Water Out Of Your Ear