The Default Gateway is not Available is an error regarding the internet connection within your computer. A significant and common reason for this error is the incorrect IP address settings. The ISP (Internet Service Provider) configuration settings are another cause of this error. Besides, the router settings and the outdated drivers are also able to lead your system into The Default Gateway is not Available error. In sporadic cases, Mcaffee security solutions also lead your internet connection towards the blockage. Due to this error, your computer might be unable to connect with the internet.
How to fix The Default Gateway is not available error?
Here are some methods and tips to fix this error.
Install a new Ethernet Driver
The outdated Ethernet driver is a common cause of this error. The Ethernet drivers help in interacting between the operating system and LAN. An Ethernet driver deals with the rate of sending and receiving data between a PC and a network. you must check if the Ethernet drivers have the latest version or not. If you find them outdated, can install the newest version. To install the latest version of Ethernet drivers, you can visit the website of your motherboard manufacturer.
Disclaimer: Updating and installing the drivers manually, can crash your entire system. You can use TweakBit’s Driver Updater. This helps you in downloading all the outdated drivers automatically.
Change the wireless router channel
Sometimes the wireless channel and dual-band wireless adapters also lead the system to this error. You can access the wireless router and change the channel to fix the error. These channels are usually of an automatic value, and you might have to change its value from automatic to particular. In most of the cases, The Default Gateway is not Available error gets fixed by changing the channel value up to 6, but you don’t need to try only 6, despite that you may go for the other channels as well.
Change the encryption method
You can also fix The Default Gateway is not Available error by changing the method of encryption. The usage of the WPA-WPA2 method of encryption sets The Default Gateway is not Available error very quickly. In case you do not get succeeded in fixing the error this way, you can switch to different methods of encryption. It would be best if you kept in mind that some of the encryption methods are as outdated as they are unable to provide the required protection.
Change the settings of Power Management
Many observations prove that The Default Gateway is not Available error can be fixed by changing the settings of Power Management of the network adapter. You can follow some steps for it. These steps are as follows.
- Open the device manager on your computer.
- Find the network adapter and click on it,
- Find the tab of Power Management
- Uncheck “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.”
- End up by clicking on the option of OK to save the changes.
Change the Power saving mode of the wireless adapter
you can fix this error by changing the power options of your PC. You can follow following steps to change the power saving mode of the wireless adapter.
- Open the Power options.
- Now click on the Click Plan Settings.
- Click on the option of Change Plan Settings.
- Move forward by clicking on the choice of Change Advanced Power Settings.
- Access the Wireless Adapter Settings and confine it up to Maximum Performance.
- End up the process by clicking on the options of Apply and OK, respectively, to save the changes.
Change the frequency of the wireless router
The unsupportable frequency of the routers also may lead the system towards The Default Gateway is not Available error. The latest routers usually support the frequency of 5GHz. In case the router is not able to support the frequency of 5GHz, you might set it up to 2.4 GHz. It has come into the observation that the change of frequency of the router from 5 GHz to 2.4 GHz resolves The Default Gateway is not Available error.
Change the wireless mode of your PC
Another way to fix The Default Gateway is not Available error is to change the wireless mode of your PC. The error gets fixed by changing the wireless mode from 802.11 g/b up to 802.11 g. In this scenario, you would have to follow some steps for it. These steps are as follows.
- Go to the Network Connections window.
- Find the option of a wireless network adapter and right-click on it.
- Go for the option of Properties
- Click the Configure button.
- Access the Advanced tab;
- Select the Wireless mode.
- Thus you would get a drop-down menu, choose 802.11 g.
- Complete the process by saving the changes.
There are some other techniques to fix The Default Gateway is not Available error. For example
- You may utilize the nutshell reset command with the help of a windows application called “Command Prompt (Admin)”.
- You can uninstall of McAfee to fix this error.
However, if you can fix The Default Gateway is not Available error by applying the above techniques on your own without the consultation of anyone. But if you do not get succeeded in doing so, you can go for the expert’s opinion as well. I hope that this article might be helpful to you in fixing The Default Gateway is not Available error.