Total Reads: 46
What is a Proxy?
A proxy refers to an intermediary server that deals with the separation of the end-users from the websites. Windows Could not Automatically Detect This Network’s Proxy Settings is a common issue that Windows 10 users often face. Simply saying, it denotes a computer playing the role of a gateway between your computer and the other computers. The proxy comes into use for several reasons, i.e., it filters the web content, avoids the geographical restrictions, and provides different levels of functionality, privacy, and security based on your use case and company policy.
In many ways, a proxy resembles a VPN (Virtual private network) that lets users hide their IP and surf the web anonymously. Beyond its apparent advantages, you may experience difficulty while utilizing a proxy anytime and anywhere. The most common proxy issue refers to Windows Could Not Automatically Detect This Network’s Proxy Settings. The computers having Windows 10 often show this error regarding proxy.
This issue is related to the network configuration of your PC. In case of having some issues within the proxy settings, users usually experience the internet on their computers very slow. They might find difficulty while browsing the video streaming sites, for example, YouTube, Netflix, Vimeo, and daily-motion, etc.
How to fix the Windows could not automatically detect This Network’s Proxy Settings error?
Some techniques might prove to be helpful to fix this error on your own. These techniques are as follows.
Reboot your system and Router:
Before applying advanced techniques, you should first restart and check your computer once. There is a considerable possibility of resolving the problem on its own within a few moments while the system of your computer restarts. This error relates to the misconfigured settings of a computer. Therefore restarting your computer would not affect it at all.
In case of not getting succeeded in fixing the error by rebooting or restarting your computer, then you can go for the further steps as follows.
Check Proxy settings
This error relates to the Windows proxy settings. It is useful to check for the proxy settings of your computer having windows 10. You can follow these steps to check proxy settings
- Go in the settings menu
- Click on the option of Network & Internet category
- Proxy settings will open.
- Find a list of options that relate to the proxy servers.
- In case you are a home user. you must keep the “Use a proxy server slider” turned off and let the “Automatically detect settings” remained on.
- On the other hand, if you are not a home user and run the system in connection with a proxy. You might keep checking upon the system administrator of your computer, as it carries the accurate proxy details.
- Later on, try to reconnect your system with the network once again.
- In case it still shows the error, turn off the option of Automatically Detect Settings that lie in the proxy options and try to reconnect again.
Try to run the Network Adapter Troubleshooter:
Another way to fix this error is to run the network adapter troubleshooter. To run the Internet Connections Troubleshooter,
- Right-click on the icon of network connection.
- You will get an option of troubleshooting.
- Run this option
Another network troubleshooter lies inside the computer that might help you in to fix this error. To access this network troubleshooter, you would have to follow these steps.
- Go into the settings of your computer.
- Find the option of Update & Security.
- Select the Troubleshoot tab.
- Go through the Troubleshoot to find the list of Network Adapter.
- This tool does not always fix the issue, but it is a worthwhile endeavor
Run the Auto-Obtain IP Address and DNS
Some other causes of the Windows could not Automatically Detect This Network’s Proxy Settings error include misconfigured IP Address and the DNS (Domain Name System) settings. In this regard, you must keep checking the IP Address and the DNS settings. To check them, you would have to follow some steps that are as follows.
- Open the properties menu.
- Click the option of Internet Protocol Version 4.
- check the option, Obtain an IP address automatically as well as Obtain DNS server address automatically.
- The misconfigured settings lying here would prevent your PC to connect with the internet.
Update or Roll Back the Network Driver
The outdated network drivers are also a cause of this error. If you want to update or roll back the drivers of your computer, you can follow these simple steps.
- Open device manager
- Go for the choice of updating or rolling back the Drivers
Try to reset the Network Configuration Via Command Prompt
You would find many troubleshooting tools within the Command Prompt of your PC. Some commands can help you in fixing this error. If you want to run this tool by using the command line, then
- Open the Command Prompt
Once the command prompt is opened, you can use these commands to fix this issue.
- netsh winsock reset
- netsh int ip reset
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /renew
- ipcinfig /flushdns
There are some other techniques to fix the Windows could not Automatically Detect This Network’s Proxy Settings error. For example
- You may review the Firewall, VPN (Virtual Private Network), and the Antivirus Software of your computer.
- Try to scan for Malware.
- You may use a restore point.
- You may reset the Network Settings of your computer.
In case you are also facing an issue that your default gateway is not available you can go to this article